Thursday, May 20, 2010

Update on Tokens

After yesterday I was beginning to wonder just how effective our token system is. See here to read more. I thought that they would realise that its pretty great to be able to do what you want to do. You just need to get a few things done first. But it takes more than a bit of coaxing and reminding, they have to want to do something first. And of course particularly in the morning have had a reasonable sleep. I have really been noticing just how grumpy I have been with them and it sets us up for a bad day. I really don't want to send them off with a negative outlook. So this morning I made a conscious effort to think before I act and speak. Hurrying and growling just make them more frustrating. It becomes a game of who can be the most stubborn. And we did it. The boys got ready and had a bit of time to get out the lego again. Taking time with them made such a difference. The biggest thing I noticed was at the end of the day. Such an attitude change. There will always be something else to do. But what is more important? If you aren't ready to listen to the small stuff (and believe me it is a hard thing when you have all four wanting you at once) and are quick to brush them off they are less likely to want to tell you their most important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...