Monday, May 17, 2010

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Life has been somewhat crazy of late. I have so many things that I am wanting to do and have just been managing to keep up with the day to day things like cooking, dishes, washing, cleaning and the like. Each day seems to blur into the next feeling like you are on autopilot. It was about time that I had a chance to stop and reflect on what I have been up to and what I want to be doing.

What I came to realise is that I have been slowly adding things to my life that seemed like a good idea at the time. After all they were just small things I could fit into what I was already doing. E 100 series, a conference at church, helping a friend, offering to write a devotion for a mums night, starting this blog. But small things on mass turn into pretty big things. Its not usually until it starts to take its toll physically that you realise just how much you have been doing. Sure these are great things that I really wanted to do and I was good at. However they all been extras that have meant that I haven't done a number of things that were already on my to do list. I can't do it all.

So I am in the process of completing what I started. Getting myself organised. I won't feel like I have got somewhere until the pile on the floor in my bedroom is gone. It has meant pushing myself to get things done and saying no to things that I would like to do. Sometimes you have to keep going up the mountain to get to the other side. One thing at a time.

One of the biggest things on my to do list is revisiting my goals and dreams and reviewing my mission statement. It helps to keep a balance of what is important. I recently read this article about how our dreams can sometimes be on hold. It got me thinking about how much I want to have things happen now but maybe I just have to wait and remember that God has it all under control. While I may not think that what I am doing is relevant it all fits in his plan. I was reminded of this again when our family pastor shared this Sunday about her travels to conference . Family ministry starts at home at our place. I can have all the greatest ideas and dreams but what I am doing here at home counts for far more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...